“What is a root canal? Why is my doctor insisting I get one?”
By definition, a root canal is a dental operation to save a tooth by removing the contents of its root canal and filling the cavity with a protective substance.
Gulfside Dental is no stranger to root canals. Our doctors are experienced in correctly diagnosing and treating them. So now you know the definition, but let’s go a little deeper.
When you have a cavity that has accumulated infection, depending on the severity of the infection, you may need a root canal performed on that tooth. Some of the symptoms include swelling in the gums and face, toothache and sensitivity to temperature. If the infection spreads all the way down to the root of the tooth, the infected tissue within needs to be removed. Root canal therapy helps preserve the tooth so it does not have to be extracted. Simply getting a filling or just a crown will not get the job done because it won’t kill the deeply-rooted infection.
So what does the process look like? Let’s go step-by-step.
- The tooth is numbed to make sure you’re not feeling too much pressure or pain
- Your doctor at Gulfside Dental creates an opening in the tooth to get to the pulp.
- Infectious pulp is removed and cleaned out of the canals.
- The canals are filled with a permanent filling material to stabilize the tooth. Sometimes a post is placed to give more stability and structure.
- The tooth is filled with a temporary material.
- Typically, a crown is seated to seal the tooth.
Contrary to what you may have heard, a root canal is not just some terrifying procedure your doctor performs to put you in pain. It’s actually to get you out of pain, and honestly, it’s not terrifying at all. It’s a treatment that is crucial for the preservation of your teeth.
As mentioned, our doctors at Gulfside Dental are skilled and experienced with performing root canal treatment. If you have been previously diagnosed with or believe you could need a root canal, please do not hesitate to call one of our offices to schedule an appointment with one of our spectacular doctors!